Sadly till rowing the bachelor’s boat and this is a self made south indian recipe, The exclusive dried anchovies pickle curry. This goes well with boiled rice as a main course and also as a side dish for chapathis and parathas. A typical Tamil dish by heart. Give it a try!
The preparation time is approximately 20 minutes. You will find a brief step-by-step method on how to make this recipe. So let’s get started.
- Dried Anchovies (50 - 100 gms)
- Olive Oil - 3 Tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 Tbsp
- Onions x2
- Tomatoes x2
- Chillies x3
- Curry Leaves x7
- Fennel Seeds - 1 Tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 Tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 Tbsp
- Tumeric Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Chilli Powder - 3/4 Tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Salt to Taste
Ingredients (that’s how they look)
The process will be demonstrated step by step with screen captures so you won’t have any trouble following this. Off we go.
1. Severe the Heads from Anchovies.
Unwrap the dried anchovies from the pack in a bowl. Start severing the heads from them.
2. Wash the Severed Anchovies with Boiled Water & Keep them Aside.
Thoroughly wash the anchovies with boiled water to remove dirt and other particles. After cleaning them, keep them separately.
3. Finely Chop the Onions, Tomatoes and Green Chillies.
Get your cutting board and knife ready. Chop the onions, tomatoes and green chillies into very fine pieces and keep it aside on a plate.
4. Add Olive Oil to the Pan.
Light your gas stove (medium flame) and keep the pan over it. Add the olive oil to the pan.
HINT: Let it for a while. If you notice a mild smoke or bubbles popping on the pan, you are almost ready to proceed to the next step. If not, wait a bit.
5. Add Spices (Part-1) to the Pan.
Add all the spices viz mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds to the pan and saute well.
6. Add Onions and Saute Well (4 minutes)
Add the finely chopped onions to the pan and saute them for approximately 4 minutes, till they become pale.
7. Add Green Chillies & Curry Leaves and Saute Well (2 minutes)
Add the finely chopped green chillies and curry leaves to the pan and saute them for approximately 2 minutes.
8. Add Tomatoes and Saute Well (5 minutes)
Add the finely chopped tomatoes to the pan and saute them for approximately 5 minutes, till they become pale.
9. Add Spices (Part-2) to the Pan (1 minute)
Add all the spices viz turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and ginger garlic paste to the pan and saute well.
10. Add Anchovies to the Mixture.
Add the cleansed anchovies to the mixture.
11. Add Water and Saute Well (8 minutes) and Salt to Taste
To the mixture, add 50ml of water and let it boil and simultaneously keep whisking for 8 minutes approximately or till they become semi thick fluidic. Add Salt and mix well. Move them to a bowl once they’re done.
P.S. Once the dish is in a semi fluidic form, move it to a large bowl and of course turn off the gas stove.
12. The Delicious Dried Anchovies Pickle
The dish is ready. Tastes amazing when served with boiled rice.
Try this recipe and let me know through the comments section if you liked/hated it.